I don’t know how many of you have read about the Occupy Wall Street campaign that has been going on in US. Or for that matter even know about it… But it is happening… And what makes it very surprising is that it is happening in one of the so-called free economies of the world – The United States of America.
Gordon Gecko would have been lynched by the mob on the streets for even uttering the G of “Greed is good“.
After the crash of 2008, while many would have made statements about recovery, the US economy probably had not recovered. Well economy might have on papers but the man on the street… when the entire life’s saving has disappeared… to recover, would need another lifetime.
The 1% that the protesters are talking about… they are the insulated lot. Insulated, because they have amassed wealth which would last for a few of their generations. But the common man… the common man who let these people get all this wealth by buying their products, spending money on conspicuous consumption because corporates and banks made it easy.
But finally I think there is an awakening. And people have taken to the streets. They are done with a very few making all the money while they suffer day in and day out. Of course, there would be many in the US who would term these protests as meaningless because they have not felt the pinch… yet. But they surely will.
I think this is a protest that needs to go global. The global economy is in doldrums and yet the Governments peddle out statistics (creativity at it’s best). The collapse of Greece would not have happened if everyone was aware of where the economy is truly headed.
And while I am not sure.. the protest in US is a mass movement. They do not have a politician or a person with an ax to grind heading it. It is akin to a flash mob… but flash mob with a purpose.
I think many of you would bring Anna Hazare into discussion. The perception being that he has also started the movement in India. But I think that movement has lost sight. The way they are going about in the current election in the constituency of Hissar… it seems like they are anti-congress. Whereas the movement has to be against the entire political elite. I am sure that none of the candidates in that election are corruption free.
People who had supposedly taken to the street (as I had said in one of the earlier posts too) were there because it was hip… not because they strongly believed in the cause of anti-corruption and would do anything to stop it.
More importantly… the Anna Hazare movement is barking up the wrong tree. Instead of chasing the bucket that gets filled up with the corrupt money.. shut off the taps from where the money flows. Protest in front of the corporates that have been involved in various scams. Stop that car guy who is paying money to the traffic cop. Put up protest tents in front of the the various govt agencies where all the wheeling and dealing is done by the power brokers. Make a website which lists such people.
True awakening will happen when every where you turn.. you see a sign that says “SAY NO TO CORRUPTION“. A sign that says “Is this all your life is worth? Is this only about money and all the stuff that it can buy?”
I am not a socialist… nor a communist… nor are the protesters of the Occupy Wall Street campaign. We are the “common man”
I think the time has come for people to break out of the Matrix that has been constructed by the 1% that actually rules the world and control the governments.
- Edward Murray: Occupy Wall Street May Be Too Big to Fail (huffingtonpost.com)
- Status Update: Occupy OKC Camps Out in Kerr Park (jenx67.com)
- Cantor shifts tone on Occupy Wall Street protestors (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- ‘Occupy wall street’: Cometh the Western Spring? (vanguardngr.com)
- Rev. Jesse Jackson: Don’t Sleep Through the Revolution (huffingtonpost.com)
- Behind Anna Hazare … (quicktake.wordpress.com)
- 10 reasons why Anna Hazare should get the Nobel Prize (prophet666.com)
- I donot support +Anna Hazare , I got no reason to do so (anilts8.wordpress.com)
- VIDEO: Anna Hazare merchandise on sale (bbc.co.uk)
- The American Dream renewed by #OccupyWallStreet (dailykos.com)
- The other side of Anna Hazare and his agitation (asspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Occupy Wall Street: A Globalist Operation Designed To Institute Martial Law ~ Thus Destroying Efforts To End the Fed (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Robert L. Borosage: Whose Side Are You On: The Moral Clarity of Occupy Wall Street (huffingtonpost.com)
- What Occupy Wall Street stands for (oup.com)
- Take a look @ We are the 99% (609fiction.wordpress.com)
- NYT editorial spells out what #OccupyWallStreet wants (americablog.com)
- Joseph A. Palermo: The Big Banks Lose Control of the Optics (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Gospel According to Gecko (gkupsidedown.blogspot.com)
- Occupy Empty Heads (dakotavoice.com)